How to renew your Spanish student visa (NIE) in 3 easy steps
You’ve survived and thrived through your first year as a student in Spain. Congratulations! You’ve already dealt with the first and most difficult round of Spanish bureaucracy. Now that you’ve decided to extend your stay, you’ll have experience from the previous year and a better idea of what lies ahead. One thing to keep in mind when discussing “renewals” is that this is, in fact, a NIE extension (or prórroga in Spanish). What exactly do you need to extend your student visa in Spain? Read on to find out.
What documents do I need to present?
- Official application form Ex -00, which you can download here.
- Payment receipt of the fee for the extension of your student visa – Tasa Form 790 (052)
You must fill out the form, print it, and bring it to a bank to make the payment. You can make this payment at any bank. The cost of the fee is 16.81 euros. You can download the form here
- Original and a copy of your passport (first page)
- Original and photocopy of your student NIE card.
- In the case you have changed your place of residence, you must provide the original and a copy of the new registration of your address called “empadronamiento”, which can be obtained from the OAC office (Oficina de Atencion Ciudadana) in your district.
- Original and a copy of your private medical insurance (Seguro Medico sin carencia). It is important that your insurance coverage is sin carencia and sin copagos, which means that all insurance services are available to you without a time limit. You can contact us to provide you with a list of such insurance companies.
- Certificate of completion “Apovechamiento del curso” stating that you have successfully finished your previous studies and passed exams (you need to pass more than 50% of your exams) to be provided with this certificate.
- Original enrolment certificate “Matricula de la Escuela” for new course and proof of payment for the course. Please note! It is important that the pause/break between studies does not in exceed 2 months.
- Bank certificate proving you have sufficient funds to pay for the expenses of your stay (“La justificacion de medios economicos”). You must provide one of the following:
- Bank account movement with a minimum monthly income of 540 euros for the last 6 months with a balance showing at least 3240 euros (540 euros x 6 months).
- Bank account statement showing your balance of at least 6480 euros (540 euros x 12 months).
Ok, I have the documents, what next?
Once you have all the documents you can submit them either online or in person.
You’ll need a digital certificate in the Common Registry
In person submissions
You can submit applications in person at:
General Registry of the Government Delegation in Catalonia
(There is no need to make a previous appointment.)
Hours: Monday to Friday from 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Summer time: (from June 16 to September 15) from Monday to Friday from 8 to 15 hours,
Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
How long does it take to get an answer?
Within 1 to 4 months you can view your renewal file on the immigration website.
If the decision on your case is “Favorable”, your application has been approved.
If there is a missing document your file status will appear as “Requerido” you will receive a letter at your home address explaining what other documentation you need to submit.
Request an appointment to turn in the missing documentation .
You must check province “Barcelona” and process “Incidencias trámites extranjería” (Immigration processing incidents). If your file is marked “Archivado” (archived) or “Denegado” (rejected), it is because there was some problem with your documentation. You can request an appointment to find out why it was rejected . You must check the province “Barcelona” and the process “Información” (Information).
What do I need to do after my prolongation has been approved?
Make an appointment at police office to get your fingerprints taken for your new NIE card.
Select : cita previa de extranjeria > Barcelona/ expedicion de tarjeta de identidad extranjero > toma de huellas > fill in the form > choose the time slot > print an appointment confirmation.
You must bring the following documents with you to your appointment:
- Application form EX-17 (original and copy)
- Passport and a copy
- Current or recently expired NIE card
- Two recent passport photos
- Screenshot of the “Resulto – Favorable” printed out
- In case of a change of your home registration you must provide a new “empadronamiento” with a new address.
- Paid receipt of application fee (Modelo 790, Código 012).
It’s finally time to pick up your new NIE card!
Wait 30 days for your NIE to be processed and pick up your NIE card at the address Mallorca, 213:
You don’t need a previous appointment but you must have with you:
- Old NIE card
- Resguardo de solicitud (this document will be given to you after submitting your fingerprints)
Any more questions?
If you need more information or have any questions, don’t hesitate to let us know — we’re happy to help and our team has a lot of experience in dealing with these procedures!
It is a great Spanish school for beginners like me. It is located at the centre of Barcelona and very accessible. The staff are so nice and supportive and provided so much information that I needed (especially Kenny). Teachers are passionate and the vibes are so good. I joined the intensive class.