Got questions? We've got you covered!

Two female students in class

We have great experience in helping our students with all kinds of questions and enquiries

Whatever you need to know, you just need to ask. We want to make sure that your study and stay with Speakeasy in Barcelona is as straightforward and stress-free as possible. Below are some common questions that might help you, but remember to contact us if you need any further explanation.


  • Does Speakeasy offer accommodation?

    Yes, we offer different types of accommodation depending on your preferences and needs. We work together with lovely and experienced host families, collaborate with partners (Livefurther, Spotahome and SHBarcelona) for shared or private apartments, and work with student residences. For more detailed information check out our accommodation page or contact us.

  • How long can I stay with a host family?

    The minimum stay for being with a host family is one week and the maximum is up to one year.

  • What are host families like?

    A host family can be a married or unmarried couple, or a single person, with or without children. All host families speak Spanish, it is possible that they do not speak any other language. It´s a great way for you to practice your skills outside of the classroom!

  • Can I also share a room with another person (friend/family) in the host family's house?

    Yes, you can. Booking a double room allows you to share your room with someone else. If you want to stay in a double room you’ll need to book together with the friend/family member you will be sharing with. Each of you will have you’re your own single bed. You are responsible to find your roommate, we do not provide the service to match students together.

  • Does living with a host family include meals?

    You have the option to choose a stay with no meals, with breakfast only or with half board (breakfast and dinner).


  • Do I get university credits for studying at Speakeasy?

    No. Unfortunately our courses do not count for university credits.

  • When can I take my holidays?

    You can take them whenever you like! You just need to let us know with at least ten days advanced notice so we can plan classes and place you in the correct course for your return.

  • What health and safety measures related to Covid-19 are taken at Speakeasy?

    Staggering arrival and break times for students, reducing the number of students in each classroom, frequent disinfection of classrooms, bathrooms and common areas, use of protective screens, disinfecting hand gels and soaps, use of personal protective equipment, such as masks or visors.

  • How many students are there in each class?

    Maximum of 12 students in each class.

  • Do I have to pay for the course fee upfront and in-full?

    Yes, the payment for the weeks of the course you want your spot reserved in must be in full and in paid in advance. This way your spot for the duration of the whole course will be reserved. It is also a requirement by the embassy if you are applying for a student visa to have your long-term course paid in full before applying for the visa.

  • Can I take the DELE exam at Speakeasy?

    Yes, as Speakeasy is an official DELE exam centre. Enquire at reception or contact us to get further information regarding official exam dates, levels and how to sign up.

  • Is there a preparation course for the official DELE exam available?

    Yes, we offer DELE exam preparation courses. Check out our DELE Course page for more information.

  • Which levels are available for the DELE exam?

    At Speakeasy we normally offer B1, B2 and C1. Enquire at reception or contact us to get further information regarding official exam dates, levels and how to sign up.

  • How long is the DELE preparation course?

    You can choose to study 2, 3 or 4 weeks, 20 hours per week.

  • How much does the DELE exam fee cost?

    Depending on the level of your exam the fee varies between 180 and 210 euros. You will have to apply from the official Cervantes website, if you need help with this please contact us.

  • Where can I enrol for the DELE exam?

    You can enrol on the Cervantes website.

  • When are the exam dates for DELE?

    Please see the exam dates on the Cervantes website, here

  • Can I prolong my Spanish course once my first course ends?

    Yes, you can prolong your course with Speakeasy after your first course has finished.

  • What long-term packages do you offer?

    We offer packages from 24 weeks up to 48 weeks. Have a look at our courses to see what is included in each package.

  • Can I get internet access at school?

    Yes. We offer free student WIFI connection in all classrooms and resting areas at Speakeasy. The password and login information can be obtained in our reception. Besides our student WIFI you can also use our computers in the multimedia area.

  • Are Speakeasy teachers native Spanish speakers? What are their qualifications?

    Yes. All our teachers are native Spanish speakers from Spain. They all have a university degree, special training in ELE (Español como Lengua Extranjera) and experience teaching Spanish to foreigners.

  • Can I change my schedule from the morning to the afternoon classes?

    Yes. If you give us at least one weeks’ notice and there is availability in the group and level you’d like to switch to, it is absolutely possible.

  • Will I be able to change my class if the level does not suit me?

    Yes, if you feel that the level of your class isn´t right for you we are always happy to re-evaluate with the help of your Spanish teacher and place you in a different class if appropriate.

  • How long does it take to complete one level?

    To finish one mini-level in our intensive course it takes two weeks and to finish an entire level it takes four weeks. Check out our course progression chart where you can compare how long it takes to complete each level for each type of Spanish course.

  • How many different levels do you have?

    We teach from levels A1 to C2.

  • How old are your students?

    The average age of our students is 28 years old. We have adult students from all ranges of age and in all walks of life!

  • Where do students come from?

    We have a very international environment at Speakeasy with students from all over the world. In each class you will typically not find more than two students from the same country. To name a few: Russia, China, Sweden, Britain, Brazil, Germany, Italy, France, USA, Canada, and many more!

  • How many students are there in each class?

    There is a maximum of 13 students per class in our bigger classrooms and a maximum of 8 students in our smaller classrooms.

  • Will I get a student card?

    Yes, a student card is included in any course at Speakeasy. Bring a passport sized photo to reception and within 48 hours we will have your card ready for pickup.

  • Can I do a trial class?

    We do not offer trial classes due to class planning and organization. You can, however, enrol in one week of class to see if it is the right fit for you and then prolong your booking if you choose to do so. If the level or type of course doesn’t suit you, we are always happy to switch you to a higher or lower level or different timetable.

CSN financial aid

  • If I get financial aid for studying in Speakeasy, will that reduce the number of weeks of CSN aid I get for studying at University?

    No. Since our courses counts as being on a high school level and not university, you will have all of your CSN-weeks left after studying with us in Speakeasy.

  • What do I need to do if I want to take a course in Speakeasy with financial aid from CSN?

    Once you have decided which course you want to take, how many weeks you want to study with us and when you would like to start, you should contact our Swedish regional manager Jas at [email protected]. She will help you with the whole application process and guide you from the beginning to the end.

  • How old do I have to be to receive the financial aid from CSN for studying at Speakeasy?

    You are eligible for financial aid from CSN for our courses from July the year you turn 20. If you would like to study with us but are younger, there is another aid from CSN you can apply for. It is a grant of 3600kr/ month. You can however not take any loans until July the year you turn 20.

  • What requirements does CSN have to approve my application?

    • You have to have lived in Sweden for at least two consecutive years during the last five years before the studies.
    • Have successfully completed previous studies with student aid from CSN.
    • Be under 57 years old.
    • Be a Swedish citizen, but there are a few exceptions.
  • How many weeks can I get CSN for at your school?

    Our longest course is 48 weeks, although you can always choose to prolong if you would like to improve your Spanish further after that. CSN offers financial aid for a maximum 80 weeks in total for education on a high school level.


  • Can I book my course week by week?

    Yes. You can book your course week by week if you choose. Just keep in mind that you risk losing your spot in the same class if the class has previously been reserved by other students. Keep in mind that discounts are applied up from four weeks booked at a once.

  • How far in advance must I register for my course?

    You can register for a course any time before the start date. Just keep in mind that your spot in the course will only be reserved once you have made the payment in full, therefore the closer it gets to the start date of your course the more likely that the class will be full. We recommend that you book at least 3-4 weeks in advance to make sure you get a spot in your preferred course and schedule.

  • How do I register for a course?

    You can register online with our enrolment form, in person at the reception, by emailing [email protected], or by calling +34 933 427 197.


  • Do I have to buy the books?

    The student book and workbook for your level are necessary to participate in class and available for purchase in reception. However, it is not required that you purchase them from Speakeasy if you already have them by other means.

  • Do I have to pay the registration fee again when I come back after a break?

    No, the registration fee lasts forever. You will only have to pay the registration fee once no matter when you come back!

  • Do I have to pay before the course starts?

    You must pay in advance for the weeks you would like to reserve your spot in. The number of weeks you book is entirely up to you.

  • How can I make a payment?

    You can make the payment online by card, by bank transfer, or in reception by card or in cash.

  • Can I get financial aid from CSN when I study at your school?

    Yes. We have two courses that are eligible for the CSN financial aid: the Intensive Course that is fully eligible and the Semi-Intensive Course which is 50% eligible.

  • Can I get CSN financial aid if I take the Evening Course?

    Unfortunately not. To receive financial help for CSN you have to study minimum 10 hours per week.

  • Is there a minimum of weeks I have to study to receive CSN?

    You have to study minimum 3 weeks in a row in order to receive the financial aid from CSN.


  • What is the SIELE Global?

    It is a single multilevel exam that allows you to obtain the SIELE certificate, a document that includes a score from 0 to 1000, the result of the sum of your scores from each of the 4 tests, and associated with the levels of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).


  • What is the NIE number and how can I get it?

    The NIE number is your identification number here in Spain and you can get it from the local police station. The reception issues an assistance document for further steps.

  • Can I prolong my student visa with Speakeasy?

    If you are already one of our students or you have studied at another language school, you can prolong your student visa with Speakeasy for a minimum of 3 months.

  • What happens if my visa gets denied?

    If your visa gets denied, we are happy to postpone your start state if you would like to apply again. Otherwise, you can send us the official denial letter and with this, we will refund you the full price of your long-term course minus a 250€ administration fee.

  • Can I come to Spain before my student visa starts?

    You are permitted to come to Spain up to 14 days before your student visa starts.

  • Can I prolong my student visa from within Spain?

    If you are already one of our students or you have studied at another language school, you can prolong your student visa with Speakeasy.

  • Do I have to pay for the course fee upfront in full?

    Yes, the payment for the course must be in full and in paid in advance.This way your spot for the duration of the whole course will be reserved. It is also a requirement by the embassy if you are applying for a student visa.

  • If I am on a student visa, am I allowed to work?

    Yes, on a student visa you are permitted to work up to 20 hours per week.

  • How long does the visa process take?

    The length of the process depends on the Spanish embassy in your home country. Embassies require making an appointment in advance, so give yourself time for this. Once you have had your appointment and turned in your application at the embassy it should take between 2-4 weeks to receive a response about your student visa application.

  • What documents do I need to apply for a student visa?

    From Speakeasy you will need an invitation letter, the receipt stating that the course has been paid in full, the school accreditation from Instituto Cervantes and our CASA program.

  • Do you offer help to students who want to obtain a student visa?

    Yes, we provide the necessary documents you will need from Speakeasy to apply for your student visa in Spain. Since additional documents required for application depend on the country you´re coming from we suggest getting in touch with the embassy in the city you will be applying in. For more information please see our student visa page.

  • I'm already in Spain, can I apply for a student visa from here?

    Yes, you can apply for a student residence permit (estancia por estudios) within Spain. Make sure you have more than 30 days of your legal stay in Spain when applying for student residence permit from within Spain. For more detailed information check our our student visa page.

Students kayaking
Our international admin team is always on hand to help with any questions before and throughout your course at Speakeasy


Olya K Speakeasy, August 2022

The quality of the teachers is very high, I’ve been impressed with their abilities to explain words and concepts in Spanish without utilizing another language such as English or a dictionary. It’s a truly immersive experience, which helps one progress quite rapidly. In addition, they take the weekly social activities seriously, so that we can enjoy and get to know other students and the city. Each week they prepare several activities for students and alumni at no or very low cost (i.e. €5). Lastly, customer service is excellent. They worked with me and around my specific situation and problem(s), came up with creative solutions, were accommodating, etc. I would give a 6-star rating if I could! Above these very practical things, this place is so much fun!