Speakeasy will help you with the entire visa application process, which can be quite complex and time consuming. We have years of experience helping non-EU citizens to obtain their long-term student visas. You can take comfort in the fact that we will be there for you the whole way.


If you are a resident in a Non-EU country and plan to pursue higher education in Spain for more than three months, you must first apply for a Spanish student visa.

The process of getting a student visa in Spain can differ a bit depending on what country you are from. Please check with your local Spanish consulate for details. To find the nearest consulate, please click here.

Your appointment at the consulate should take place at least two weeks before your planned date of departure for Spain. To be on the safe side, we strongly encourage you to visit your consulate’s website to book your appointment at least six to eight weeks before your planned departure date.

The first step is to enroll onto a course with Speakeasy. The school will then provide you with the documents you need from the school to apply at your local Spanish consulate. To prepare your documents we need to know your; full name, passport number, date of birth and full address in your country.

The second step is to schedule an appointment at your assigned consulate via its official website. The consulate website features an online calendar that shows available timeslots.

On the consulate’s website you will also find the most up to date and comprehensive information about student visas as well as a list of documents that you are required to bring to your visa appointment. Something to take into consideration is that these time slots sometimes fill up quickly, especially during summer (up to 4 weeks in advance).

Once you have received your visa appointment at the consulate, make sure that you have all documents needed with you at the time of your appointment. The consulate will not make any copies for you. If you forget to bring any of the required documents, your visa application will be postponed and you will have to set up a new appointment. Once your student visa has been approved, you must collect your passport in person. You cannot send a relative or a friend on your behalf.

All of this might seem complicated and difficult, but don’t be discouraged. Speakeasy will be there to guide you through the whole process. As long as you follow the requirements of your local Spanish consulate you will be in Spain before you even know it.

If you have any questions regarding your student visa to Spain, please contact us here.


Once you are in Spain, you will have to get your so-called “NIE card” (Número de Identificación de Extranjero). The NIE is the identification number in Spain for everyone who is not a Spanish citizen. Both EU citizens and non-EU citizens get issued a NIE.

You have a maximum of 90 days after your arrival to get a the NIE card, however, we strongly recommend that you to get it within 30 days. The dates of your entire Spanish course will be stated on your NIE.

For more information about how to receive your NIE card, please contact us here.

Speakeasy Language school is accredited by, recognized by, and is an official partner of:

EU Business School IED Barcelona Cervantes ESERP Business School INSA